Mary Lou Retton is a gymnast, who made history at the 1984 Olympics. She’s also contending on season 27 of ‘DTWS’ so here’s every little thing you should know about this former American Sweetheart!
Go for the gold! Seakid 27 of Dancing With The Stars is going is going to be absolutely lit many thanks to a stellar actors, and also one history-making Olympian. Mary Lou Retton, 50, is joining,R&B singer,Tinashe, 25,Harry PotteractressEvanna Lynch, 27,Dukes of HazzardactorJohn Schnieder, 58, andZombiesstarMilo Manheim, 17 as they complete for the Mirrorround trophy. Mary Lou is partnered with Sasha Farber, 34, that is no stranger to dancing with Olympic gymnasts–he was paired with Simon Biles in Seakid 24. Get to recognize even more about this fierce contender that is guaranteed to offer the various other contestants a major run for their money!
1. She made Olympic background.
You are watching: Mary lou dancing with the stars
Mary Lou Retton won a gold medal in the individual all-around competition, and also 2 silver medals and two bronze medals, in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. It was the initially time the Summer Olympics were organized in the United States in 52 years, and Mary Lou was the initially ever American woman to win the all-approximately gold medal and was the just one to carry out so for twenty years–until Carly Patterson in 2004’s Olympic games in Athens. After her record breaking Olympic performance, she became recognized as one of the the majority of renowned athletes in America. She reworn down in 1986.
2. She’s a sweetheart and also a spitfire!Mary Lou is well-known for her exuberant personality and heart-warming smile and is a fireball wrapped in a 4’9″ frame! She ended up being Wheaties’ first main spokeswoguy and Sports Illustrated named her “Sportswoguy of the Year,” in 1984. Fans almost everywhere dropped in love via Mary Lou’s pep, and it’s not difficult to check out why.“I would sleep in my leotard on Friday nights because I was so excited around gymnastics on Saturday mornings,” she shelp in a past intersee.
3. She is a devout Catholic.Mary Lou credits her intense belief for helping her in her career. “I wouldn’t be where I am this particular day without my relationship via God,” she said in a past intercheck out. “My relationship through Jesus Christ is so much stronger currently, however then, I expect, I kbrand-new He offered me talent and also I knew that He brought Bela Karolyi into my life to bring that talent out. I provide Him all the glory.”
4. She has actually 4 children.
See more: Power Of The Power Of The Pen : 5 Scientific Reasons You Should Be Writing More
Mary Lou is a mommy to four girlsShayla Rae Kelley, 23, McKenna Lane Kelley, 21,Skyla Brae Kelley, 18, and also Emma Jean Kelley, 16, every one of whom are athletes. Daughter, McKenna is following in her mom’s footactions and pursuing gymnastics. While stress and anxiety fractures in her legs prevented her from competing nationally, she finished up completing on the college level atLSU, wbelow she athas a tendency.
5. She’s all set to carry house the Mirrorround trophy!Mary Lou is no stranger to competition and also still continues to be exceptionally fit–she is currently a motivational speaker and corpoprice spokesperchild that travels the civilization as a “Fitness Ambassador.” DWTS companion, Sasha Farber, is understandably thrilresulted in be paired with her. “Yessssss I can finally say it!!! I’m so excited to be partnered via the one and only
marylourettonshe is an absolute legfinish and is working so difficult I can’t wait for you all to check out her dance !!!