There are a few groups of joint classifications, yet in this post, ns will focus on those many familiar: the synovial joints. Synovial joints are characterized by the synovial fluid existing in the joint capsule that helps come lubricate the joint. The stability of a joint relies on the form of the share itself as well as its neighboring structures. This includes the skeleton that make up the joint, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Cartilage ~ above the bony surfaces that make up the joint help to boost the surface ar area of the share (thereby increasing the stability), and/or cushion the joint. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments help to develop support about the joint. The shape of the bones aid to dictate which motions it will certainly allow.
You are watching: Which of the following is not a factor that contributes to joint stability?
Within the group of synovial joints, the form of the articular surfaces of the joint, and also the movement enabled at every joint aid to further breakdown joint categories.
1. Ball and also Socket Joints: this joints permit for the greatest selection of motion. The joint requires a sphere fitting into a concave surface. Because these joints enable for much more motion, they are at higher risk because that instability. Ball and also socket joints allow for movement in numerous planes, and circumduction.The shoulder and hip space both ball and socket joints.
2. Condyloid Joints: allow for flexion, extension, and some lateral activity at the joint. There is also some circumduction that takes place. The circumduction is limited however, due to the fact that the form of the joint is oval contrasted to the an ext mobile ball and socket joints. Finger should have the ability to move in a circular motion, although that is small. Condyloid joints are also referred to together ellipsoidal joints.The base of every finger is a condyloid joint.
3. Saddle Joints: These joints space made of 2 concave and convex surfaces the intersect. Saddle joints enable for flexion, extension, and also lateral movement. Saddle joints may current as a condyloid joint, but if you try to move your ignorance in a perfect circle, friend will an alert its motion will no be smooth choose the one movement possible with a finger.The base of the thumb is an example of a saddle joint.
4. Hinge Joints: Hinge joints allow for activity in one airplane only. Think that a door hinge. It enables the door come open and also close, however not move up or down.Knees and elbows are some typical examples the hinge joints.
5. Pivot Joints: This kind of joint permits for rotation. Unlike countless other synovial joints, the does not allow for any kind of flexion or extension.The an initial two cervical bones (the atlas & axis) form a pivot joint. The atlas sit on optimal of the axis and allows a “no” movement of the head (left & right rotation)
Training the muscles roughly a joint help to improve its stability. The stronger the muscles, the more control they have actually over the motions of the joint. A muscle imbalance can also lead to share laxity.
See more: Tunnels Under Walmart Confirmed, Tunnels Under Wal
Post injury, training will typically involve both flexibility and strength maintain of a joint. The versatility training is to help regain or enhance a joint’s variety of activity for daily activities. The stamin training is both to aid with functional activities alongside building and also maintaining share stability.
For example, ns dislocated mine shoulder in the loss of 2014. Ns performed range of motion and also strength exercises to regain my functionality. As I progressed, ns was maybe to perform exercises v a broader range of motion to proceed improving my stability. The exercises also involved numerous directions the movement. Training mine shoulder this means absolutely carried up the stability (and is still helping to save it stable). Plainly it will constantly be at risk for part instability injuries, however training it safely help me to avoid such instances!
In my last blog post, i explored hypermobility of joints. Overstretching a joint deserve to decrease its all at once stability, and also overtraining a joint without stretching can decrease its selection of motion. There is constantly a happy medium between stretching and also training the muscles because that your best function. Together always, make certain you stretch what you strengthen and strengthen what girlfriend stretch!
Adrienne Lema BPE Student
1. Classification that Joints top top the communication of Structure and also Function. Boundless Biology. Boundless, (21 Jul. 2015). Retrieved 30 Jul. 2015 indigenous https://www.boundless.com/biology/textbooks/boundless-biology-textbook/the-musculoskeletal-system-38/joints-and-skeletal-movement-217/classification-of-joints-on-the-basis-of-structure-and-function-820-12063/
2. Joints the the Skeleton, http://www.argosymedical.com/flash/synovial_joints/landing.html , Retrieved native http://legacy.owensboro.kctcs.edu/gcaplan/anat/Notes/API%20Notes%20I%20Types%20of%20Joints.htm
1. Joints, Gelenke Zeichnung, (2005) Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_and_socket_joint#/media/File:Gelenke_Zeichnung01.jpg2. Lema, Adrienne (2014)3. Lema, Adrienne (2014)4. Lema, Adrienne (2014)
ball and also socketcondyloid jointhinge jointimprove joint stabilityjoint classificationjoint stabilitypivot jointsaddle jointsynovial share